Sunday 16 April 2017

When He comes, everyone says Whoopee!

Rise to your full stature says the Lord
and He does.  That's Easter for you! 

I have borrowed words written today by Father Laurence Freeman who is a bit of a hero to me.  I have borrowed them  because they express the change that you experience when transformation happens.  My Lent wasn't as disciplined as the desert dwelling he talks about suggests, in fact it rather collapsed when I visited a real desert which is now Dubai in the middle of my period of abstinence and I somehow never retrieved the energy to complete it although I meant to.  So, when Easter morning started even before I was awake, I found myself dreaming that He had come back, the one I was waiting to see and I woke up extremely happy.  Now that is what Easter is about, when the dusty dry time represented by Lent is over and we catch a little glimpse of who someone really truly is.  You suddenly realise that He or She is the fullest and best part of themselves and when that person comes out of the desert and comes to play, you rejoice.  In the dream, happiness was a kind of rejoicing.  A dreamlike Whoopee which lasted through the day!


And Father Laurence says it better when he writes that: 

For forty days and nights – and more – we have been in the desert. And now, on Easter Day as the sun rises we have put the most difficult part behind us.
The way we see the desert is now transformed. We see the same things, life’s routines continue as before, the trees and clouds are what they were before, politicians and bankers, artists and therapists and monks do their thing as before. Nappies still need to be changed and petrol tanks filled. The pilgrimage of meditation morning and evening continues.
But our Resurrection – and it is ours no less than his  -  has changed the way we see life in this realm of existence. The veil between us and all the other realms of the cosmos is now shimmering.
If we still have fear, we do not need to. If we are still clinging to resentment, we do not need to. To fully change, we need only to see him. Not hear about him or talk about him but see him. It is he who makes the new creation shimmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment